What basic requirements should a Flying School offer?
Behind every great flying school , there are great people who take you on the journey to becoming a successful commercial pilot . If you have a burning desire to fly, then you need to make sure you choose the correct flying school. Some extremely important basics the flying school needs to have in place are the correct training materials, technology, and of course certified training staff to guide you along the way.
Becoming a Commercial Pilot
Becoming a commercial pilot required passion and focused commitment, as you have the responsibility of passenger’s lives in your hands. Both you and the passengers who fly on the aircraft you command need to rest assured that you have received the best training and flying hours on your way to becoming a successful commercial pilot.
It’s important when choosing a flying school that you know you are getting superior instruction, the best value for your money and that you are being trained using top of the range aircraft and simulators that are well maintained, which will give you the opportunity of realising your dream of becoming the best pilot you possibly can be.
13 Aspects to consider when choosing a Flying School
When doing research on the various flying schools out there ask yourself, how this particular school can make you a better pilot and meet your exact needs. It’s important not to make the error of choosing a school based solely on pricing. Make your choice based on these important factors:
- • Part 61 vs. Part 141 approved schools, i.e. part-time vs. full-time instruction
- • The professionalism and experience of the staff
- • The quality of the training provided
- • The technology involved in training, e.g. computer based training
- • Quality of the equipment & aircraft used in training
- • Size of training aircraft fleet
- • Qualifications and experience of the instructors
- • Boeing and Airbus training courses
- • Integrate ATPL (Airline Transport Pilot Licence) and/or Frozen ATPL and Commercial Licence + Multi Engine Instrument rating with Airline Transport Licence
- • Jet Pilot Program and Training
- • Airline approved training courses
- • An accredited airline cadet program if possible
- • Finance & bursary service providers
The importance of high-quality aircraft & training instructors
A critical aspect often overlooked is the quality of the aircraft used in training and the size of the training fleet. Acquiring the required flying hours can become a tedious process if there is constantly a hold up due to a lack of training aircraft.
The lecturers and pilot instructors need to be trained and fully qualified in order to teach you how to handle abnormal conditions, like strong winds, poor visibility conditions, night flying and emergency procedures to name but a few.
The flying school has the responsibility to give you the proper training needed, however, you too need to be committed and determined to go the extra mile. If you are still unsure a Compass test may help sort out any final doubts.
A perfect quote by the official historian to the RAF Sir Walter Alexander Raleigh sums up the importance of the role of a commercial pilot: “The engine is the heart of the airplane, but the pilot is its soul.” The correct flying school can help you achieve greatness, so make sure you choose wisely.